Do Silverfish Bite and How It Can Be Treated

Do Silverfish Bite and How It Can Be Treated

If you see small red spots on your skin with a sharp pinch and itching, it means you got a silverfish bite on your skin.

Although, this is very rare as these tiny creatures are known to run away instantly as soon as they sense danger. They run towards safer areas where humans cannot reach them.

silverfish bite might seem harmful that carry deadly bacterial infections, but in reality, they don’t like living on human blood. Instead, they prefer living on carbohydrates found in sugary or starchy foods.

In some cases, a person might get a silverfish bite, but that is only when someone has a silverfish luring nearby that crawls onto the body and stings it.

Table of Contents

The Appearance of a Silverfish Bite and the After-Effects Skin

If you or anyone has ever gotten a silverfish bite on the body, it is a bite similar to an ant’s string which is very sharp and painful.

silverfish bite leaves a red mark or a spot of blood on the bitten area and it causes a severe itching that lasts for a couple of minutes. This may also leave a patch that would last for a few hours day meanwhile the skin recovers instantly.

People who have complained about the symptoms have reported cases like respiratory issues that occur on the human skin after a silverfish bites.

This only happens to people who are highly sensitive to silverfish bite or inhale the shedding of a silverfish’s skin, their feces, and allergens found in shrimps shellfish. It causes respiratory diseases, like allergic rhinitis or bronchial asthma.

The Treatment of These Allergies and How To Keep The Air Clean From Allergens

A silverfishes skin may tend to float around in the air inside the house. It can be due to the creatures residing in the homes or it gets transferred with winds into the house from elsewhere, once they shed it off.


If a person breathes it in or gets a silverfish bite, then they may suffer from severe allergic reactions, like tropomyosin which is an allergen found in seafood, like shellfish and shrimps.

There are not any specific medications for silverfish bite that are specially manufactured for this allergy, but a doctor must be consulted to diagnose the type of allergy and its cause.

Some anti-allergic medications might work for the silverfish bite, but it is preferable to focus on eliminating the allergens in the air by:

  1. Regularly vacuuming and dusting the furniture

The house should be cleaned on a regular basis to lower the chances of silverfish bite increasing in the house.

The surfaces of the house should be wiped to remove excessive dust. This creates a much cleaner and breathable environment inside the house and reduces the risks of getting a silverfish bite.

  1. Using Anti-bacterial air fresheners

Air fresheners that have anti-bacterial properties are best to keep the air free from harmful particles in the house and also leave a nice fragrance around.

Silverfish bites would be reduced with the spray that is transferred in the house through winds passing from the outside to the inside.

  1. Installing fans around the house

The rooms are filled with fresh air through fans and also the humidity level inside is decreased.

Areas, like the kitchen and bathrooms, should especially have fans to dehumidify the atmosphere so that you won’t get silverfish bite while moving around the house.

What Attracts A Silverfish To Reside In Residential Homes and How To Prevent Them:

Silverfish prefer moving into homes when they find an environment that is similar to their natural habitat. They like places that are:

  1. Humid

A hotter place is what attracts them the most. They are not seen during the daytime rather during the night which is why it is highly suggested to keep dehumidifiers in rooms at night especially so that they don’t crawl over beds and leave bites over the body. Other places, like the bathrooms, are where one can find them. Make sure that a fan has been installed in there to dehumidify the bathroom as soon as one takes a warm shower.

  1. Dusty and stored with cardboard pieces

Places, like the storeroom, is where silverfish can be found luring and making holes in items, like boxes that contain cellulose, newspapers, and clothes. If there are boxes that have clothes in them, they will make holes into it and ruin all the pieces as they love it. Before this occurs, one must instantly get rid of such items and keep clothes into plastic containers that are sealed tightly.

  1. Sugary

Silverfish love to feed on sugar and starch as it is their only favorite diet to follow. To avoid them from spreading into the kitchen area, make sure that sugar pots are kept away into tight containers that would make their reach impossible into it. Also, make sure that the kitchen counters and shelves are wiped clean without leaving particles to feed on them.

  1. Split

Silverfish lay their eggs where they find crevices. Tiny areas inside your house that are slightly damaged or opened make a home for silverfish to start their families. Make sure that the cracks are identified and immediately sealed especially areas that are surrounded by drainage pipes.


The best way, however, to prevent a silverfish bite, their increase and living in the house, is to hire pest control services team and let them take over the job. This should be done once or twice a year to make sure there are no chances of silverfish coming into your house, residing and feeding on items and leaving bites on the house members.

To conclude the above discussion, it can be said that a silverfish bite is not harmful to humans, as it only lasts for a few hours leaving a patch or spot of blood that disappears with time and if causes allergy, can be treated through certain precautions for eliminating it.